6/22/2009

Who's is it?

When it comes to material things and faith, people can become aggitated and frustrated. By why I wonder? As a human, we are always striving to be in competition with someone else. To be better, to look better, to feel better. But actually, we only become in competition with ourselves at the end of the day.

One thing I completely regret is buying a private car registration plate L55 KBY - Lee Kirkby. £250! This was about two years ago now, and only recently has it been playing on my mind. What's God trying to say....

Why did I buy it (especially for a Fiat Punto - hardly something to show off!)? Because I wanted to be noticed, different, special, feel good when driving. The more I learn about Jesus and grow in faith, the more I deteste the way us Christians are pressured into secular materialism, idolism and worship. It's so hard to be a Christian in a 'celebrity' world, where one is always seeking to be centre of attention. Quite often Christians seek to be that 'celebrity' in their own world! We musn't get sucked in. Do you ever wonder what it would be like if as many people came to church as they did visiting the Trafford Centre?!?!

We have to be so careful and conscious of our image in the world as Christians. What message does it give out when we wear top of the range fashion, but preach to help the poor? What does it say when we spend money on things that are petty but the money vitally spent in other parts of the world? Let's begin to reflect and critique how much we spend and what on. "I have come to set the oppressed free and bring good news to the poor" - driving around in a Ferrari??? Umm...

Let's not do Jesus another injustice. Let's not give people another reason or argument not to believe or see the truth. Let's live as Jesus lived. Live with only what we need, but giving all that we have.

And as for my number plate...well at the moment it would cost more to take it off than it would to keep it! Any offers anyone....?

1 comment:

  1. Lee,

    A peculiar thing happened to me today, I saw your blog thing on Facebook and before I knew it I was reading it.

    The topic you have chosen to talk about is a very interesting one. However, I do believe and worry that it could be taken to extremes. I do agree with the brand culture and obsessed with looking good obsession that our society seems to have taken. Yet I am a firm believer in buying quality.

    For example, I shall use a pair of jeans as the basis of my opinion. If a pair of jeans would be bought at £10 from ASDA (maybe less) but would only last for 6 months before starting to wear thin, and becoming to weathered to wear, at that price why not buy another pair!

    However, take for one moment the alternative. Buying a pair of jeans, for example in my experience Levis, that will initially cost you £60, but the overall quality and wear-ability could last for years. This is extreme but I still have a pair of jeans that I bought when I was 15 (yes to all the people out there who can work it out that makes the pair of jeans nearly 8 years old!). I must admit that this particular pair of jeans are by their best – but my point is that I was able to wear them for 4/5 years without feeling that I should find myself a new pair.

    For give me here with a moment of maths. Let’s say that the pair of jeans from Levis cost £60 but lasts 5 years, and the ASDA jeans costs £10 and lasts 6 months. In 4 years of buying ASDA jeans you will have spent a total of £100, when if you had spent £60 initially you would have saved £40. You see my point?

    Although going back to the point that I think Lee was trying to make that as sad as it is the society that we find ourselves in, are very brand orientated. If for example, ASDA did do a quality jean that would last the same length of time for the same price or less, then I personally would consider buying them. However, as yet they don’t, and until they do I shall buy Levis, not because of the name – red tag thing, but because of the quality. Try no to feel that you need to buy the newest Apple gadget, or laptop or mobile phone, unless you can justify it. If you have an older version of the item you are looking at stop and ask yourself this question…..

    “Do I really need this? Is the thing that I have already, broken?”

    I shall leave you with this, when I was younger and I received any amount of money, whether it was Christmas, Birthday, Easter, I would have to go out and spend it. It didn’t matter what I spent it on, I just had to spend it. My mum used to say that I though the money was burning a hole in my pocket. Ask yourself this, do you rush out and buy the first thing you see because you have some money or spare income, and in the process be the little boy with a hole in his pocket. Or take a step back and ask yourself whether or not you really need it?!

    Oh and Lee about the number plate – I’m sure you would be able to sell it on eBay or something?!

    Matt Kilburn

    ReplyDelete