5/20/2013

I'm Not Good Enough - 1/3


Most of us in ministry will bear scars and experience stings every so often. A friend of mine recently said he feels like he's being shot down. The truth is, discouragement is unfortunately a reality in all aspects of ministry. When we say 'yes' to ministry, we're also saying 'yes' to times of trial and discouragement. Much of this comes from a closer place to us than we'd expect and want it to come from - the church. In this three part blog I'll highlight three things that may contribute to you feeling like you've been shot down: 

I'm not good enough. 

How many times have we thought this? 
Paul says in 1 Timothy 4:12 "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young..."  Having gone through three years myself of not feeling good enough for a job I was doing, I can empathise with most people who consider themselves unworthy. I must say, many of these feelings were brought on by others - their words and behind closed door decisions infiltrated my whole being, often knocking me off course. Sometimes it was not what they said to me, but what they didn't say to me. I just wasn't good enough. Maybe they thought I was too young? Maybe it was because I didn't have the experience they were looking for? 'But why not give me a chance?'  I used to scream! Paul continues to say that young people should set an '...example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.' As young leaders we need to guard ourselves from attack and criticism  making sure that we do set an example in every way, so not to give anyone reason to blame our actions on our age. A young age doesn't make someone unusable by God. 

I hear of so many young leaders being discouraged particularly as they're just starting out in ministry. Their leaders expect beyond their years in return. They expect too much. As a manager myself, I expect to deal with personal and team failures from time to time. I also happen to believe in the power of investing in people's potential. That is knowing someone isn't quite there yet, but is capable of getting there and I'll commit to helping you get there. How many young leaders do we just leave hanging there in ministry to fend for themselves? 

It means taking risks and bold decisions from time to time. So many churches don't see what's in front of their own eyes. Are we identifying, raising and discipling young leaders within our own churches? I'm thankful for the people who took a risk with me, all because they saw potential in me. They gave me responsibilities knowing that I might not be able to carry them. But they were ready to catch them. They stretched me. They saw something in me. They gave me a go.  

Know that you are good enough. You were good enough for Jesus to do what he did for you. You are good enough. 

Are we growing young leaders? Are we developing young leaders? Do we trust our young leaders? Do we believe in our young leaders? What are our words and actions saying to our young leaders? Do we create a culture of 'you are good enough here'? 

You are good enough for Him. That's the truth. 


Tomorrow's blog is titled 'I'm not called' - a feeling we sometimes get when not being good enough has saturated us for far too long. 






No comments:

Post a Comment